Is it time to run yet?

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or gazelle - when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.
Roger Bannister (29 - )

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mesabi Trail

I was up in Chisholm Sunday and with the cool weather and slow wind, I couldn't help but get out on the Mesabi trail for a 13 mile practice run.  Weather about 70 with 70% humidity.

I stepped out the door and started running.  Instantly there was some aches in my left foot.  I let Em know she might need to pick me up if my foot didn't last.  The nice thing about this route is that I can carry a small water bottle, have a good sized drink every few miles, and fill it back up in the rec area in Buhl before I return.

This course is kind of tough because it is a bit hilly in a few places, but it is smoothly paved and relatively flat.  I sped out at a good clip and tried to keep my pace below 8 minute miles.

The first half of the run was uneventful, save that I had to remove my shirt because it was warm.  I didn't meet any bicycles and other runners on the first half.  I got to Buhl and turned around and did a self assessment.  My left heel and foot were my biggest concern.  My foot ached and my heel felt a bit swollen, I made sure I relaxed as I ran.  When I got back to the rec area in Buhl, I pitched the rest of my water and opened the faucet.  Note for the future: don't pitch your water until you check to see if water comes out of the faucet.

I called Em and told her my situation and she agreed to drive to Buhl and meet me (somewhere) to fill up my water.  I started running back, hoping I would get to the area on that trail that is near the highway and meet her there.  It worked out pretty well.  I filled up my bottle, took care of some business (I apparently got paged) and started to run back.

I had already gone over 9 miles.  Once I got to mile 10 I started to feel really strong again, so I picked up the pace some.  By mile 11 I was feeling very good, so I took advantage of some hills and started going very fast.  I paid for it a bit on the last mile, but It was worth it.  Here's the map of the run:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/35810254

Splits:
Total 13 miles, 1:48:16, 8:20 pace

Mile 1 7:38
Mile 2 7:38
Mile 3 8:07
Mile 4 8:01
Mile 5 8:05
Mile 6 8:15
Mile 7 8:26 (oh shit, I pitched my water!)
Mile 8 8:52 (not bad, this is the big hill on the back side of Buhl, a tough climb IMO.)
Mile 9 8:28
Mile 10 10:01 (Thanks for the water EM!!)
Mile 11 8:12
Mile 12 7:41 (woot)
Mile 13 8:38 (Maybe I ran mile 12 too fast)

This was a good run.  I was exhausted at the end of it, but it only took an hour or so to recover.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a good run. Your Mommy would be proud.

    ReplyDelete