Is it time to run yet?

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or gazelle - when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.
Roger Bannister (29 - )

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Running Some Intervals

Either my heart monitor doesn't update that fast, or I need to figure out a new way to do interval training. I ran a mile as a warmup, then I ran 30 sec intervals as hard as I could with 30 sec breaks. I did this 8 times and then ran back a mile to not so much cool down as to get to the shower. Any how, I ran these until I couldn't  keep up a faster than a jogging pace with my legs and lungs protesting. I'd finish the last 10 or so seconds concentrating on my form because I had nothing else then I'd want more than the 30 seconds to recover. So you'd think that my heart rate would my high, but it didn't exceed 150 - that I saw any way. When I started it was 134 and as I jogged out of the area I was running these "sprints" in it had calmed down to 138. Tomorrow is an off day, I'll see you on Thursday.

The bottom of my right foot feels ?tight? and a little sore to the touch. Is this really bad?

3 comments:

  1. Try rolling a tennis ball/golf ball under your arches. If it causes pain stop, then you probably have a strain or/ severe sprain. The other thing is like in DIEHARD curl your toes on a carpet.

    Goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't listen to whiny boy. If you can walk, your not training hard enough! The tennis ball (or golf ball) is a good way to stretch your fascia. Another good way is to put your left ankle on your right knee, grab your toes in your left hand and your heel in your right and pull (not hard enough to cause pain) Rub your fascia with your thumb, if it is tender, then you might want to take it easy (reduce millage? Not sure what that really means) Since your foot is in position, you might as well finish by stretching the fascia 10 times for 10 seconds. I do this every day sometimes 2 or more times. It is best to do it before you walk in the morning and after you sit for a long time. If you get a lot of pain there, that is plantar fascitiis, and you don't wan that. It seem like my other foot pains come and go, my guess is that there is a lot of swelling that happens. These little aches and pains tend to go away on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should say, for plantar fascitis, the pain would be where the fascia meets the heel.

    ReplyDelete